Monday 27 May 2013

Reflecting

Upon returning from our safari on the Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater, we sat down as a group to discuss some of the things we have seen so far in Africa. In the short time we have been in Tanzania, we have had the opportunity to explore very different sides of this beautiful, but often harsh, country. Here are some of the thoughts expressed.

Kyle: I see what we've done here but it seems to be such a small part of what needs to be done. While at the safari lodges we watched these fancy acts - instead they should educate people about what life is really like in Tanzania.
Daria Sywak: This was a real eye oener. I'll go home with a new perspective. There were days when I'd get up and kind of dread going to school, having to get in the car and drive there. Here I've seen kids who have to walk two hours with no shoes to get to school.
Bryce: I think more of the money from tourism should be going to the communities. Employees at the hotels were surprised that we could speak a few words in Swahili. It showed that most tourists come just for the animals and don't make the effort to try and understand things.
Will: This was an amazing perspective. We take for granted so much. Even at the hostel we have to flick a switch to heat up the water, while at home we just take it for granted. The two sides of Africa we saw (rural life and tourist life) are polar opposites.
Christina: It was interesting to see the schools rather than just going on safari.
Karly: I'm grateful I got to do this trip through CPAR. We saw so much. At home there is so much over-indulgence. It will be hard to see all the food wasted when I am bussing tables in the rstaurant where I work.
Lindsay: I was researching and preparing myself before the trip but I still wasn't fully prepared. Everything is so beautiful and green here. I thought about the safari but I prefer life at the hostel. Life seems so much more connected to nature here.
Garrett: I am happy with what I learned. It has amped up my motivation to make a differnce in the world.
Peter: At the primary school wher we planted the trees, the teacher was so grateful although we did so little. He was still asking for more things. It just shows how much they need. We've got to keep trying to make it better.
Tyler: There is more that needs to be done.
Hailey: It's interesting that a lot of people here don't know their rights. In Canada we do.
Lovejot: The kids definitely motivated me. Given the resources and opportunities they will do so much. We are not driven nearly as much as they are.
Jessica: I have a passion for midwifery. I want to go home, get my degree and come back and help with birthing practices.
Melissa: It was cool to see the culture and environment and realize how lucky we actually are back home. Animals here don't have a home or proper care. People here don't believe we keep animals as pets and give them names and proper food and proper care.
Ms. M: I'm so proud of our students for what they are getting out of this, an experience that will forever be a part of them, a part of us.
Ms. S.: I've been a weeping mess for much of this trip. Part shocked and horrified at the plight of women here. Inspired by how they are the agents of change even though they are constantly stomped on.
Ms. A.: Thanks to CPAR we got to see many different sides of Africa. It was an experience that very few are privileged to see. We met so many interesting people.
Mr. S.: The farming practices are so old. There will be a culture shock when we go back to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment